Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Our story

I can't remember the exact day that I first met Dave but the feeling in my heart I can never forget! 


I would say that maybe we met at the beginning of 2000.  I was taking a night class at Missouri Southern (biology), as I had decided that I was meant to remain single and I was okay with that. I decided to make the future better for me and the kids by completing school to become an R.N.. During this time, the school district had started a wellness program for the employees, with volleyball being one of the activities we could participate in.  During my career as a school nurse I was always traveling from school to school-usually I was assigned to 3 schools (I think at first I may have had 4 schools). Because of all the traveling and not necessarily having the opportunity to become close to very many of the staff I didn't usually participate in many activities. There was one school I worked at that I did get to know the teachers, and they needed another volleyball player so I joined. I thought it would be fun and growing up volleyball was our family picnic game! So on the nights I didn't have class, the girls (Stephanie & Gabriella) and I would join the rest of the staff from Irving (the school building is no longer standing as it was destroyed by the tornado) and play volleyball. Now, believe me when I say that it never crossed my mind that I would ever meet anyone interesting especially since I planned on remaining single and made plans for my future. God had other plans!


At one of the very first games there he was, playing for the opposite team. I had no clue who he was or what department he worked for, BUT, the principle I worked for and who was on my team knew him and was talking to him like old friends! Of course I didn't think too much about it as we did have a game to play then I had to leave so I could study and get Gabriella ready for bed (she was only 4).  On the way home I told Stephanie "Did you see that cute guy?" Of course what teenager would notice-silly me! The next time I was back at Irving I asked the principle about Dave. I didn't even know his name so I just asked her about the guy she was talking to that night. She told me what she knew about Dave, they knew each other from her days working at the high school the same time he was there. She thought he was still single, had two sons and had been working for the school district a really long time. She realized that I was just a little interested and she said she would find out more! My first question was to ask if he was christian and believed that salvation came from Jesus Christ. He had to be a believer or forget it! She didn't know and said she would find out. Now I know this all sounds school girlish but like I said I traveled all the time and didn't come into contact with some people at all.  Dave's job usually kept him in the warehouse but once in awhile he would have to fill in for the guy who did the mail route but I never ran into him. I didn't always see him when we played volleyball because we played different teams, eventually we would have a rematch.


During this time I continued spending time studying and doing my job and didn't give anything much thought. Debbie (the principle) did tell me she found out that Dave was indeed a believer in Christ but that he was dating someone else.  Well, believe it or not all I was thinking was that was okay (about him dating someone else) but that one day he wouldn't be and I will be here! Why in the world was I thinking that? I surprised myself with that thought but then maybe it was God putting it on my heart.  I would see Dave once in awhile at the games, he said he was checking out the teams they would be playing against, hmmm, I will never know if that is true but I am pretty sure it probably was. I started running into him at various schools and would small talk about our respective teams. I was usually very busy, there is a lot to squeeze into a half day at school when you have lots of hearing and vision testing and phone calls to make so we didn't really get a chance to talk much, besides he had a delivery schedule to stick to.


Eventually the volleyball games ended and so did Dave's relationship. During this time I guess, Debbie kept asking him questions about himself and how his relationship was going. Eventually he realized that something was up, not sure how it all came about but he found out that I was interested. So now it was May and school was coming to an end. One day, at Irving, there was a concert or awards assembly and I was standing in the hallway watching and here comes Dave around the corner with a delivery. At the same time one of the students got sick so I was busy. Funny how Dave stood around chatting then the next thing I knew everyone in the office was gone! But I had a sick student, a phone call to make then a parent to talk with so we didn't have time to talk. Eventually he did ask me for my phone number! (later in our relationship he said he had to ask for my number then because he knew school would be out and he wouldn't see me all summer!)


I won't bore you with all the details but I do want to say that when you are faithful God is faithful to you! Dave and I started dating in May. We had an "old fashion" kind of courtship, we sat on my porch swing and talked a lot , lots of phone conversations, and long walks. Early on I talked to Dave about my faith and my desire to have a Godly man and if God couldn't be part of any relationship I was in then there would be no relationship. God had been so faithful to me and I was going to be faithful in Him. Dave had a desire to grow his relationship in Christ and I invited him to church. He was open about his lack of understanding and his wavering faith but I knew in my heart that this was right and God would be in the center.  


June 28, 2000 is one date that won't be forgotten-for one that is Gabriella's birthday and she turned 5.  It was just a family party with the kids and I, Dave came and a close friend dropped by. Later while Gabriella was playing outside Dave and I were sitting on the porch and he said he was going to have to find a new place to live. I said I would be happy to help him find a place, I love house/apartment hunting! He said something like, well I was figuring you would help because it would be a place for both of us. "Are you asking me to marry you because that is the only way I would live with anyone!", he said "yes". I thought I was supposed to say yes after he did the asking but I think he must have been nervous! :-) 


So that's it. That is how we began. I know it may not be the sweet story of a young couple starting off for the first time. But for Dave and I it was like a first time as we made a conscious effort to be more Godly in our relationship.  We knew we each had lots of "stuff" we were bringing into this relationship but we knew that as long as we were prayerful, and faithful God would get us through. As Dave and I look back and reflect we each have our own ideas as to why at that particular time in our lives we became a couple. Dave said he felt that God saved him with this relationship.  I have always stated that Dave was God sent. I believe that when I started to live out the Christian life that I professed and became more faithful that God blessed me with Dave.  We are not perfect, we still have problems and obstacles to over come and still have relationships that we need to work on with kids, and family but on this Valentine's Day we celebrate our love that is heavenly blessed. 


Monica

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your "Love Story" especially since I have never heard it before. It is beautiful, peaceful and everlasting because of your desire to follow the path that has been placed before you. I have said before and I truly believe God brought the two of you together because only the two of you, together, will make it through the tough times you are faced with. Only the two of you have thought about making memories now to help you in the future. Only the two of you know and understand each other in the deepest sense which will keep you connected even in the worse times. Only the two of you have the deepest love for each other that will be there to help in the worst times and you will rejoice in in the best times. Everything combined along with your professed love for God will help you overcome your problems, obstacles and heal relationships. Remember to always keep your eyes on God (not that you need me to tell you this) because this will give you strength, wisdom, fortitude and allow you to forgive and find peace.

    I love you (all of you) and send my heart with love for Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica,
    I LOVED this story!!!! I had no idea that is how you met. Joplin Schools helped a love connection. But of course God is the ultimate love connector! I am so blessed to know you and your story with Dave. Praying for you guys and love that you are recording your thoughts. What an inspiration they are to all who read them.
    Love and prayers,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dave and Monica,

    We love your blog and are so happy for the two of you. Your story lends itself to a fairy tale come true. I wish we could see you and the rest of the family much more often than is possible.
    Our "winter" has still not materialized. We've had very little rain and a lot of warm sunny days. This week's temps should be in the high 70's- so says the weather man. Have you had any snow or frost or any other bad weather so far this season?
    Soon I'll be training with my friends for the PCRF 1/2 marathon. Our marathon raises money for children with cancer. PCRF stands for Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation. Each year we sign up more and more participants who are interested in this worthy cause. The race will take place on May 5th Cinco de Mayo. I think this will be my 12th marathon!
    Melissa left for a ski and snowboarding trip on Friday with her church group. Elias is working on some real estate deals but sales are slow now.
    Say hello to the rest of the family and we miss you very much!
    I'm still off work on the medical leave but I'm doing very well on the new medicine.
    Love to all, Pam and Elias

    ReplyDelete