Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tired, emotional and lost.

This has been a hard week.  Not only was there a time change this past weekend but also a change in Dave.  I am not sure why some days the progression of this disease is more evident than others.  Sometimes I am not sure if what I see is true or not and I am constantly asking Gabriella during the course of the evening if she notices the same things I do.  


For those of you who have been in our home you will understand my weariness when I say that I am very concerned because Dave lost his way to the laundry room. For others, our house is very small and its a straight shot from the living room to the kitchen then straight through to the laundry room.  There is no turning down a hallway or going down steps just straight through but he kept turning to go into the room we have deemed "the computer room" and would just stand there not sure what to do.  (As I have said in previous post, if Dave is interested in doing something he does it, anything that will keep his mind going and for him to feel that he is contributing to the upkeep of the house.) He didn't just do it once but a few times! Most of the time I find a gentle way to point him in the right direction but I was trying to get other things done and became frustrated. I didn't say anything hurtful, at least I don't think I did, but instead just came right out and said, "the laundry room is through the kitchen" and pointed to where he needed to go. I didn't have an "attitude" when I said it but said it in a flat tone. I was so tired that day but I know that is not an excuse.  

On another day we ran errands and picked up some much needed items at the store. Of course our Target store is rearranging itself to make room for the new produce section so I was just as lost as Dave. I am sure he felt a little bewildered because I am usually the leader and he follows but we were both lost! Anyway when we got home Dave wanted to shave (I think we had some place to be that evening) so he took his new razors into the bathroom then came right back out because he couldn't find the shaving cream. Of course it was in the spot it is always in but he forgot and then he couldn't find the new can we bought. It makes me sad to remember this.


On Sunday Dave was too tired to get up and go to church so he stayed home and Gabriella and I left. I figured he would sleep the entire time we were gone and was surprised to find him up when we got home.  To my dismay he looked terrible! He knew we had gone to church because I woke him up to tell him bye but he looked disoriented or confused. He said he had gotten up just a little before we got home and he tried turning on the tv but couldn't get it to work. He did turn it on but had changed the channel on the wrong remote and turned off the channel that we need the tv on to get the signal and he couldn't figure out how to turn it back so he turned the tv off and just sat on the couch waiting for us to get home. It was easily fixed but still it makes him frustrated with himself. 


What an emotional roller coaster we are on!  The worse part is that Dave knows when he forgets. He says its like a wave that ebbs and flows and he can't do anything to stop it. One thing I noticed when we were shopping was that his hands were really sweaty-I know, that sounds yukky. Dave and I used to hold hands all the time when we went places but when we shop we usually have a shopping cart so I don't usually hold his hand. That has changed and we are holding hands again but mainly so I can guide him through the store without it looking like I am guiding him. I asked if he was feeling okay because his hands were sweaty and he said he was okay, "I know they're sweaty but I don't know why. I don't think I am feeling anything!" Hmmm. Hope that doesn't mean he is losing the ability to identify what he is feeling. 

We spent the best part of the day on  Monday talking about these incidents and others and cried. He said he worries about me and my future and I worry about making life easier for him. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out ways to revamp our house to make things easy. We I have a lot of work to do!


You know that I have stated that I am trying to look for the joy in our journey because it is so easy to always focus on the down side. I don't want to end on such a sad note so I am going to list some things that I am so grateful Dave can continue to do.
  1. We can still hold meaningful conversations, we continue to discuss things that need to be done around the house, family issues, and make simple plans.
  2. We can still watch simple plotted movies together.
  3. Dave continues to still pick out his own clothing. (I have stated that only because we recently had someone ask if he could still dress himself.)
  4. He still gets enjoyment from working in the yard! He can continue to plan the gardening - it may end up being in containers but he can still do it!
  5.  He knows my name and who I am!
The list can be longer but I don't want it to sound like I am talking about a child because I am not but I am talking about someone with Alzheimer's and things are more simplistic now and we find victory in every small step!

Monica

8 comments:

  1. Monica,
    thank you so much for being such a strong woman.. i know this is not an easy journey for either of you. Watching the person you love change is very hard. every little step you both take together is wonderful to hear about. stay strong, you are always in my prayers and thoughts every day
    kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, We so appreciate all the prayers! Dave is pleased to know that you all are keeping up with us and give us so much support. Dave really misses you, we hope you can come out some time and I need to download skype again!
      Love, Monica

      Delete
  2. Monica,
    Just read the latest blog. PLEASE don't feel bad about feeling frustrated or having moments when you are impatient with Dave.
    As his primary care giver there is an enormous amount of pressure on you to give him the best life you can. But this does not mean that you need to give up your self. Please take advantage of any support you can get for respite, time off, time to spend with Gabriella.
    Don't feel guilty if you need to take time out - find a way to do it. I have seen how hard this is when friends have had to go through this with loved ones. I have been amazed at the strength people can find when thay need to and it is obvious that you have strength. But strength can only last so long, it must be renewed through rest and time off. Ask for help from time to time - it will help you and thus help Dave. You can not and should not try to do it all on your own.

    I will be there in June, think about every thing I can do to help. If you need to go away for a few days, what ever - think about it and we will make it happen.

    Thank you so much for being there for my brother

    LOVE to everyone


    Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita, Having the support of his sisters means more to Dave than you can imagine. We are both looking forward to your visit and I will take you up on the offer to allow me to go away, I will have to think about what to do!
      Love you,
      Monica

      Delete
  3. Dear Monica,
    I am praying for you and Dave. Your post truly struck a chord in my soul. I hope if there was something you need me to do, you would let me know. I would love to be of help. Meanwhile, I will pray for all the things you listed and believe me, I think you are doing an amazing job so don't beat yourself up.
    God is our refuge and strength a present help in time of trouble. I hope you are finding that to be true.

    Much love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim for all your prayers and support. I know you will be more than happy to help, I am still trying to figure out the best way for others to help out, but some day will be calling on you! Love seeing you for a bit on Kids Club night when we serve dinner and could always use hugs! Love you! Monica

      Delete
  4. Dear Monica,

    God bless you, Dave and your family. I am in awe of you and the determination, perseverance and love you have in taking care of our brother. It was sad to read that things are becoming more difficult for you and Dave. We all knew it was going to get harder but when reality sets in it takes a toll on everyone, especially on you. You are such a strong and caring person and I really don’t know what he would do without you.

    I was glad to read that Anita will be visiting you sometime soon. She will bring a lot of help and inspiration to all of you.

    We miss you all and wish we lived more closely to each other. As you know things will worsen in the future and I hope you will call on us to help with whatever you need at that time. We were also glad that the recent spate of tornadoes did not cause damage to your house. (That’s 2 for 2 for you!)

    Love to you, Dave and everyone,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just caught up on some of your last posts. You express yourself and relate your experiences so honestly and eloquently. Many people can learn from your great posts. (Including us) So sorry for the heartache of it all, so happy for the commitment and victories that keep you going! Love, Diana & Wayne Bauder

    ReplyDelete