Monday, June 4, 2012

Memorial Day Fun

I was going to write this post sooner but had computer problems along with some emotional stuff going.

First it was so great getting a "mini" vacation! We have been staying close to home and it was so nice to get to KC to see family! We didn't get to leave until Saturday since we have the cat to contend with and I wasn't sure about too many nights away from home.  I did a quick reorientation with Dave around Linda's (my sister) house.  We stay with her whenever we are in town.  It is nice being some place where everyone already knows about Dave's diagnosis then I don't feel that I need to watch him as much because there are lots of other people keeping an eye on him and helping if necessary. 

Gabriella and Dave
My sister Linda and my niece, Lisa (acting silly)
I feel Dave did well for being in such a large gathering. (Our picnic was Sunday.)  I just let everyone know that you need to call his name and make sure he is looking at them when they talk with him so he can stay focused and concentrate.  He can become easily distracted when there is a lot of commotion. Talking one on one with people helped him feel like he was part of the activities.  There were times when I would watch Dave and could see a blank look, maybe because he wasn't sure where to keep his attention. He did say he had fun! We ALL needed to get away and Dave said that although he didn't participate in much he was happy to see me having fun!  Since there really wasn't any demands on him trying to remember anything in particular he was pretty relaxed! He didn't play any games but sat and watched everyone else.  I expected him to go inside for some quiet time but he never did and later said that he was okay. Later he did have a hard time remembering my great nieces name-Alyana. He kept saying "That little girl."  What I find ironic was Alyana's response to Linda when she was explaining to her about Dave, she said (I will have to paraphrase because I don't remember exactly what she said) "Do I need to say, Hi Uncle Dave, remember me I am Alyana?" She is just a first grader and very smart and kind and very funny! Linda said she thought Uncle Dave would remember who she was and she was right, sort of - Dave says that when he looks at people he knows they are familiar to him but does not recall names or how he knows them.

Alyana celebrating her birthday.
There were a couple of times when getting ready for bed Dave had to be redirected to where the bedroom and bathrooms were.  A few more doors to deal with than what we have at home but he did better than expected. We took other precautions as well such as leaving the hall light on, bathroom light and a light on downstairs so if he got up in the middle of night he wouldn't fall down the stairs and could find his way around. I will say that I am afraid that eventually we will not be able to travel or that we will need to stay in a hotel where everything is all in one room and I can arrange his personal care items out on the counter for him to find, but for right now he is doing okay. 

On Memorial Day we left KC early as we were heading over to see Adam, Michelle and the girls for a cookout! Dave was, of course, super excited to see them all! We know that Adam is having a hard time accepting what is going on with his dad but I could see that day that he is trying very hard.  Dave and Adam sat outside by the grill and talked, not sure what their conversation was about as Dave couldn't recall much but he was pleased that Adam asked about his meds and how he was doing overall. It really helps Dave to talk about what is going on and he feels that the more he can explain it the better Adam will understand and try to accept. Of course Dave has no problem knowing that Autumn and Izzy are his granddaughters and that he loves them very much and he is very proud of Adam and his family.  I wish there was more I could do for Dave and Adam & Dustin. I wish I could get them to understand how important it is for Dave to spend time with them and his grandchildren to make memories so later everyone can recall all the fun instead of what we know will be harder times. Time is going by quickly.  I hate that I didn't get out to get pictures and will need to be better at that. 

I was so tired by the end of the weekend. I am used to being up late but all that extra driving really wore me out and made me very emotional. Dave had a good time, maybe he can't remember details of the weekend but he remembers the parts that were most important to him and we can sit and talk about those times over and over.  This past week has been trying for me but will leave that for another post as I just want to relish the good times and good feelings from Memorial Day.

Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment