Sunday, November 13, 2011

The start of a new chapter

Hi! I am glad you decided to come by and check out our new little blog. Why? What do we have to say?  Well, as some of you know Dave and I are starting a new chapter in our lives, its actually going to be a long journey along a road with potholes, smooth clear paths and bumps. 


Lets first start with the name of our blog: For better, For worse Together. These words are part of the vows we made on our wedding day,words that are part of the covenant we made to one another to be by each other together. We have had so many fun, happy, uplifting times but we have also been through some tough times.  We have stood side by side through celebrations of marriage, births of grandchildren, graduations, birthdays, baptisms, and various accomplishments of our kids. We have also stood side by side as we felt helpless when kids,grandchildren,my parents, or one of us were ill, or struggling through our relationships with our families and even when struggling with our faith.  We have also endured the heartache of losing people we love either through death or simply because they walked away. But, we got through them because we stood side by side together and together we sought comfort in our heavenly father. 


Whats this new chapter, this long journey we will be on together?  The name of this journey is Dementia. Dementia? Really? Yes. Do I mean Alzheimer's? Right now we don't know. Aren't they one in the same? NO. Dementia is a symptom of a bigger illness. Its like having a broken bone but you have pain first: pain is the symptom of the broken bone. Its like fever being a symptom of an infection. Do you see? Right now Dave is having the symptom of dementia, the cause of which we don't know. We do know what is not causing it, it is not caused by a B12 deficiency, a thyroid problem, or a head injury. Could it be caused by his history of high blood pressure? Possibly.  How will we know? We are working on getting an MRI and an EEG. These two test will help the doctor decide the cause. We pray that the cause will be something that could be reversed and Dave will recover what he has already lost. If that is the case this blog will be extremely short as there will not be any need for it! Can we all say "YEAH" and "Praise the Lord". In the mean time we thought this blog would be a good way to communicate with all of you what we are experiencing. We can keep you up to date on all the medical appointments, test and medication changes as they occur. I am not sure how often we will be posting. Some of the post may consist of stories of things we have done or stories of experiences Dave had before we became a family. We are hoping that writing them down and sharing them will be a helpful tool in the future. I will be the author of most of the post but hopefully Dave will get the courage to share some of himself too.

One more thing, I am apologizing from the start that I am not a writer. I am not eloquent with words, or sentence structure.  I know this will really bug those teachers and writers out there but not all of us received that gift. I will try my best and I have to say I am soooo thankful for spell check!

Well, this is it for the first post. Those of you who know me know that I could go on and on for a long time, but it is extremely late and I need some rest. Just know that Dave and I love you all and appreciate all the prayers, love and support.


Monica

1 comment: